Charlie and Myrtle, Marie and Al
The following year on November 15th 1915, after several years of dating, Charlie Dowd and Myrtle Mullins were married. The marriage was at St. John's church and performed by Myrtle's cousin Father Thomas Mullins of Morristown. Marie Dowd was again the bridesmaid and Myrtle's brother, Frank Mullins was the best man. Myrtle Rossmore Mullins was born in New York 1893 to John William Mullins and Emma Curley. Her middle name Rossmore was a remnant of a close friendship her mother had had with Lord Rossmore of Ireland. Myrtle's grandfather, John Mullins had made his fortune as a furniture merchant in Newark during the latter half of the 1800s.
Charlie and Myrtle's wedding party included Agnes and Herbert McCloskey, two of Charlie's cousins, (children of Uncle Charles McCloskey). Guests included Aunt Kittie Garrett and Aunt Katherine Dowd, widow of Uncle Henry Dowd. The wealth and social position of the Mullins family is apparent in the extensive coverage the wedding received in the local papers, including a full picture of the bride and her bridesmaids.
Newark Evening News, Thursday November 11, 1915
The wedding of Miss Myrtle Mullins daughter of John William Mullins of West Orange and New York to Charles Dowd of West Orange, son of Mrs. Sarah L. Dowd of West orange took place last night in St. John's Catholic Church, Orange. Rev. Thomas Mullins, a cousin of the bride officiated. The ceremony was followed by a reception at the home of Mrs. A.W. Almquist, 20 Edsonia Terrace, West orange, an aunt of the bride. Mr. Mullins gave his daughter in marriage. She was attended by Miss Marie Dowd of West Orange, a sister of the bridegroom, as maid of honor. Miss Vivian Tompkins of New York was flower girl and the bridesmaids were the Misses Marietta Flynn, Jessie Stalker, Agnes McCloskey and Lillian O'Connor of Orange. Charlotte Finley of Newark and Evelyn Foley of Jamaica, Long Island.
The best man was Frank Mullins of West orange, brother of the bride, and the usehrs were John F. O'Hagan, Thomas O'Connor, George Decker, Alphonse Young, Herbert McCloskey and William Kindle of Orange
The bride wore a gown of ivory satin made with full court train and trimmed with Chantilly lace and pearls. Her veil was of tulle caught up with Orange blossoms. She carried a shower cluster of white roses and lilies of the valley and wore a platinum circlet of diamonds and pearls, the gift of the bridegroom. Her traveling costume was of brown broadclothe trimmed with seal fur with hat of black and velvet and gold lace. The maid of honor was in green taffeta with over drapery of tulle trimmed in pink rose buds. She wore a picture hat of black tulle finished with a single pink chrysanthemum and carried a shower cluster of pink roses. The flower girl wore white lace over pink taffeta and carried a basket of ppink and white chrysanthemums. The gowns of the bridesmaids were of taffeta trimmed with silver lace and black tulle. They all wore picture hats of black tulle trimmed with one single natural-chrysanthemum to match the gown. They carried arm sheafs of yellow chrysanthemums. The Misses McCloskey and Finley woe blue taffeta, the Misses Foley and O'Connor wore yellow and the Misses Stalker and Flynn wore pink. The bride presented gold signet rings to her attendants and the bridegroom gave gold cufflinks to his best man and ushers. Mrs. Almquist, aunt of the bride was in blue crepe trimmed with gold lace. Mrs. Katherine Dowd of East Orange , an aunt of the bridegroom, wore black Georgette crepe and lace. Her daughter, Miss Florence Dowd was in yellow taffeta. Mrs. Katherine Garrett of Orange, an aunt of the bridegroom wore black lace over white satin. Mrs Dowd, mother of the bridegroom, wore a costume of black charmeuse satin with silver and rose point lace. Mrs. Mary Mullins of Newark, an aunt of the bride, wore black satin and lace. Mrs Thomas Dowd of West range, an aunt [sister-in-law] of the bridegroom was in yellow taffeta and blue panne velvet, and Mrs. John Dowd, another aunt [sister-in-law], also of West Orange, wore white crepe de chino and gold.
The decorations in the church consisted of palms and white chrysanthemums. At the house there were chrysanthemums, palms and Easter lilies. Mr. And Mrs. Dowd have gone south on their wedding trip. On heir return they will live at 154 High Street, Orange.
A reception followed the wedding at the home of Myrtle's aunt, Mrs. Ellmquist. Later that night, Myrtle and Charlie left for a honeymoon at the Hotel Chamberlin, a luxury ocean-side hotel in Old Fort Comfort, Virginia. The impressive hotel featured a ballroom with"high-class" orchestra, filtered indoor sea water pool, true five-star comfort. A few days later on November 16th they returned home by ship from Norfolk, Virginia to New York.
Charlie and Myrtle settled into their new home at 154 High Street and Charlie resumed his work at the Dowd store. The following October, during a Halloween party given by Charles and Myrtle, Marie Dowd announced her engagement to Al Young. The moment was captured in the newspaper:
|The engagement was announced last evening of Mrs. Marie Dowd, daughter of Mrs. S.L. Dowd of 281 Watchung avenue, West Orange, to Alphonse Young of East Orange. No date is set for the wedding. The announcement was made at a Halloween party given in honor of Miss Dowd by her brother, Charles A. Dowd, and Mrs. Dowd at their home High Street, West orange. Fifty guests were present, including several from Long Island. They were the misses Evelyn, Frances and Mabel Foley, Mr. And Mrs Charles Foley. Among the others present were Edward Smith and Arthur Geisler of this city. The party was held in the attic of the house which was transformed into a garden with fall flowers and foliage and electric lights with goblin shades. A feature of the evening was fancy dancing by Miss Frances Foley .|
*Charles, Evelyn, Frances and Mabel Foley are not related to Margaret Foley Dowd
Marie and Al were married the following February with Thomas Dowd as best man and Margaret Foley Dowd as the maid-of-honor.
|Orange Advertiser, Feb 13, 1917-
Mrs. Marie Dowd, daughter of Mrs. Sarah L. Dowd of Watchung avenue, West orange was married yesterday afternoon to Mr. Alphonse E. Young of West Orange, son of Mrs. Alexis Gustava of Elizabeth. The couple have gone south on their wedding trip. On their return they will live at 263 Burnett, East Orange in a new home presented to the bride by her mother.
The ceremony was performed at St. John's Catholic Church, Orange, by Rev. Thomas J. Herron. The bride was given in marriage by her mother and was attended by a sister-in-law, Mrs. Thomas Dowd of West Orange, as matron of honor. Her brother, Thomas Dowd, acted as best man and the ushers were Charles Robinson and Harold Smith of Elizabeth.
Mr. Young's gift to his bride was a platinum brooch set in sapphires and diamonds. He gave gold cuff links to his best man and ushers. The bride gave a platinum lavalliere to the matron of honor.
The bride wore an afternoon costume of shell gray cloth trimmed in blue chiffon and cut buttons. Her hat was French made with ribbons and a cut ornament and she wore a corsage cluster of lilies of the valley.
The matron of honor wore a suit of blue cloth with a hat of black straw. Her costume was finished with a corsage bouquet of violets and a black picture hat. The mother of the bridegroom was in black chiffon.
There was special organ music and the alter was decorated with Easter lilies, roses and carnations, Fifty guests attended.
As a special gift, Sarah Dowd presented her daughter a deed to a house on Burnett St. in East Orange. Sarah had purchased the property earlier and deeded it to Marie on February 15th, a few days after the wedding. Such a generous gift not only indicates the warm feelings Sarah had for her daughter, but also speaks of the success of Sarah's business and her rise in wealth by 1917.